Re: [OT] Imperial measures

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 16:56:27 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 05 October 2011 01:02:36 Weaver wrote:
> > I think it's a pity that the gill has fallen into misuse.
>
> Its usefulness is limited by the fact that it is not a fixed measure,
> but covers various different amounts according to the region in which
> it is used, anyhow in the UK.  Hence, I imagine its decline, with the
> ubiquity of television cooks.

In a professional food career that spans over forty years, from base
level commis pastry chef to successful consultancy practice, I have
never known a gill to be any other than 150ml.
The vast majority of 'TV cooks' are a social sub-group that I'm afraid
I have grown to despise in the interim, especially in regard to pastry
work, where many professional chefs could not be rated as any more than
woeful.
Regards,

Weaver.
--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"