Re: Debian Newbie need help

Roger Leigh wrote:
On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 09:51:17AM +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:19:05 -0800
"Dr. Ed Morbius" <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Dr.,

There are so many wins of LCD over CRT that I'd see little to no reason
to stick with a CRT display.
Finance is often the reason people don't want to change their existing
kit.  Some people simply can't afford to upgrade.  Even when health is
an issue.

Another reason is colour reproduction.  Until recently, and even now
only on higher end models, LCD panels did not have the same colour
gamut as a CRT.  Take pure red, and compare them side by side.  The
CRT can reproduce it, but the best most LCDs can produce is a
washed-out red-orange shade.  This is AFAIK a limitation in the TN
technology most displays use, but I'm not sure exactly which types do
not suffer from this issue.

Even high end models of old a few years ago had this restriction; I had
a (supposedly for professional use) Apple Cinema Display, and the colour
reproduction was *awful*, with all colours being washed out and still
having the issue with reds.  Only in the last year when I acquired an HP
H-IPS LP2475 display can I get the same colour reproduction that a CRT
could produce 30 years ago!

I have not seen an LCD that reproduces what I get in my Samsung SyncMaster 750s. Perhaps the H-IPS LP2475 does. What hardware characteristics should I be looking for, since where I live CRT's are not to be gotten anymore.

Hugo