Re: mounting and/or permissions problem

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 21:29:46 +0000, AG wrote:

> On 03/03/11 20:59, Lisi wrote:
>> <snip>
>> I shall be visiting the computer concerned again in a couple of weeks'
>> time. I'll add user to some more groups then.
>>

> Doesn't  this simply raise an issue though of how many groups a user
> account needs to be manually added to.  Is this an issue between
> balancing convenience and security or is this something that is
> counter-intuitive from the userland experience?

I think the groups to which the user belongs change from one release to
another and they don't always have to match. For instance, in Lenny,
video devices (such as a webcam, or even the "nvidia" device) are owned
by the "video" GID, but this does not have to be the same on newer
releases.

That said, I don't see any specific problem for adding your user to
another group when it is required, but as a rule of thumb, unless that
change is needed, better do not touch it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón