Re: Single root filesystem evilness decreasing in 2010? (on workstations)

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Clive McBarton wrote:

Ignore swap, that's just small stuff, especially with 3GB. You could
have 64GB and it would still be not that important. Put it on any
partition or file you want.
The rule is 1:2 BTW.

Hi Clive. I liked the rest of your post but I did want to make one little comment here.

The 1:2 rule was true on some versions of *nix in the past. It has never been true on Linux and is not AFAIK true on any modern version of *nix. With improvements in disk capacity outstripping improvements in disk i/o by a significant margin 1:2 would mean that the system would be effectively unusable from thrashing long before you had used half of the allocated swap.

I cover this a little more here:

http://practicalsysadmin.com/wiki/index.php/Swap_space

Cheers,

Rob

Well, here it is;  so, should I do it?
If you feel like tinkering and sorting out problems, then yes. If you
want to just get your computer running and never think about it again,
then no.

--
Email: robert@timetraveller.org
IRC: Solver