Re: vim linebreaks in Mutt

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 09:01:49PM -0700, Carl Johnson wrote:
> Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> writes:
>
> > What's the proper setting to get good line breaks in Mutt (using vim),
> > without manually hitting the enter key?  (So that this paragraph, for
> > instance, is not one long line of text, but rather several shorter lines of
> > text).
> >
> > I currently have this in .muttrc:
> >
> > set editor="vim -c 'set wrapmargin=5'"
> >
> > This breaks my lines 5 characters from the right of my terminal.  Problem
> > is, that varies depending on how large my xterm is at the time I'm
> > composing the email.  I often toggle to fullscreen, and that makes my lines
> > get much longer.
> >
> > Sorry if this is off-topic, but I've noticed there are at least a couple
> > Mutt users on the list.

bit late, but

this is what i have in my .mutt/vimrc
" source everything as usual
" setting filtype to mail should have all the right values !
source /etc/vim/vimrc
source ~/.vimrc

" Allow indenting ?
if has("autocmd")
  filetype plugin indent on
endif

set filetype=mail " correct syntax highlighting

" Spelling
" Colouring
highlight SpellErrors ctermfg=Red cterm=underline term=reverse
highlight SpellBad term=standout ctermfg=15 ctermbg=1 guifg=White
guibg=Red
highlight SpellCap ctermfg=Blue cterm=underline term=reverse
highlight SpellLocal term=standout ctermfg=15 ctermbg=1 guifg=Green
guibg=Cyan

" Location
setlocal spell spelllang=en_au

and in my muttrc

set editor = "~/.mutt/killsig.pl %s; vim -u ~/.mutt/vimrc %s"

and the killsig.pl

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
# killsig: delete signature (also "oe-sigs") when quoting emails.
#          known patterns: ">-- " , "> -- ", ">--", "> --".
#
# Michael Velten <michael@michnet.de>

open(MAIL, "+<$ARGV[0]") || die "$0: Can't open $ARGV[0]: $!";
while (<MAIL>) {
        unless (/^> ?-- ?$/) {
                push(@purged, $_);
        }
        else {
                while (<MAIL>) {
                        push(@purged, $_) unless /^>.+/;
                }
        }
}
truncate(MAIL, 0);
seek(MAIL,0,0);
print MAIL @purged;
close(MAIL);

Alex

--
That's the thing about people who think they hate computers.  What they
really hate is lousy programmers.