Re: ??: Stunned by aptitude.

Title: Re: ??: Stunned by aptitude.

Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 16:52 -0400, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
>> Paul Johnson wrote:
>> What that heck are you talking about?  My message was sent in plain
>> text, not HTML.
>
> The message I am replying to, as was the one in question, is HTML, not
> plain text.

Well, that wasn't the message I and my MUA sent.  (See other messages and
below.)

>> And even if I had sent HTML, how the hell would that change the truth
>> of my statement?  We're talking about Debian and improving it.  My MUA
>> has nothing to do with that.
>
> If you got your MUA via Debian, and you don't know you're sending HTML,
> I suspect that's a bug we need to fix, eh?

Yes, if my MUA and I were really sending out HTML because it (its interface)
made it hard for me to notice/realize/see that that was happening, then, yes,
that would be a UI design quality bug in the MUA.  (When planes crashed because
pilots accidentally dumped fuel because the dump-fuel switch was right next to
the flaps controls, that wasn't just pilot error--that was bad design.)

However, since my MUA is _not_ sending HTML out of my computer (my BCC copy
from my mail server confirms that), my MUA's HTML vs. text settings and my use
of them are not the problem.

I suspect that a mail server or gateway between here and there is reformatting
my message.

I also suspect that it's related to the special characters in the subject field
of most messages in this thread.

(What were the two characters before the colon?  I'm only seeing question marks.)

Daniel