Re: RAID for large disks

Thanks thats the exact same question I have.

Does this page, http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2006-October/msg00014.html, hold any validity? The poster makes a good argument, but by seeing Damon's response it makes no sense to go thru the trouble. I would be willing to try this if I get some assistance...

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a RAID controller with 256MB of on board cache and its connected to
> 12 500GB SATA disks. I am planning to create 2 RAID groups (6 disks each),
> but I don't know what is the optimal stripe size should be.
>
> Also, once I stripe on the RAID controller I am planning to use LVM. Is
> striping a good idea? What should I consider for the filesystem?

I think you are confusing stripe and stride (and others may not
realize it's still a stripe in RAID5 even though it's not a mirror).

This email seems to be apropos -
<http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2006-October/msg00014.html>
but I dont' have any advice for you.

Brian