Re: Running testing? -- read this.

On 2008-06-04 18:10, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> IMHO you should at least quote him with the proper context.
> (E.g.: his clarifications in some messages that followed).

IMHO his clarifications just confirm that *IMHO* he takes the decision
to remove packages too lightly.

I admit that I gave a short quote of a rather long thread, but I did
give a link to the whole discussion.

The whole discussion started with a bug report [1] of Daniel R.:

> This weekend (1-June-2008) several important gnome metapackages have been
> removed from Debian Lenny repositories:
>
> gnome-core
> gnome-desktop-environment
> gnome-cups-manager
> update-manager
> update-notifier
> libgnomecupsui1.0-1c2a
>
> Now, gnome desktop does not appear in Aptitude's tasks.

If a release assistant writes what I quote in this context, it alarms
me. There already have been discussions about whether there should be a
goal of keeping testing in a usable state vs. breaking it 'on purpose'
(see [1,2]). So, I don't think I put the quote out of proper context. He
did admit that gnome-core and gnome-desktop-environment were removed on
mistake (I don't blame anyone for a mistake), but I do have the
impression that the update-* packages as well as ntp (not mentioned
there) were removed *despite* the release managers wanting them back for
release. And I personally don't think that this is a good idea.

Packages *temporarily* removed from testing while making testing less
usable IMHO is not a good idea.

Packages removed from testing, because there is little or no chance to
get them in releasable shape, however, is a good idea.

That all is just the very humble opinion of a user of testing and who is
not a DD.

To make things clear: I believe that as a whole the developers and the
release managers do an *excellent* job and I thank them for their big
efforts. Testing is the very proof just by how much debian gets better
every day. Thank you soooooo much!!!!!

Debian rocks! Resistance is futile!   ;-)

Cheers,
Johannes

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/06/msg00060.html