Re: 3rd SATA scrambles drive order? "Begin: Waiting for root file system . . . . . ."

On 01/03/08 08:05, Stuart Gall wrote:
> In article <9HqYh-8s1-7@gated-at.bofh.it>, Jonathan Wilson
> <jw@mailsw.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a computer with an Intel mainboard (I"ll look up the
>> exact model later if it matters) running Etch.
>>
>> / is an 80G SATA on SATA1. /data is a 500G SATA drive on SATA2.
>>

>> I've never had any trouble with the system.
>>
>> I ran out of space on /data so I've installed a 3rd drive,
>> 750G. I've only got 2 SATA ports left, 3 and 4. If I plug the
>> new drive into either one, the machine boots, the bios
>> recognizes the new drive just fine, the boot info shows sdc,
>> but after all the drive and ethernet detection, I get the
>> following message:
[snip]

>> Now, I guess I /can/ use this setup, and just modify /etc/fstab
>> so that the thing will boot and mount properly on it's own, but
>> I'd rather do something to it so that it doesn't get so
>> confused about the order of the drives. The new drive should be
>> sdc, and the old drives should be sda, and sdb, like they
>> already were.
>>
>> Is there something I can do about this? To make the new drive
>> be sdc, I mean?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> JW
>
> Count yourself lucky. I have a system where the sata controllers
> come up in random order. sda is sometimes moved to sde.
>
> You can only use LABEL= for ext2/ext3 filesystems. Not for swap.
> So when my controllers get switched The system wont boot, drops
> to ramfs.

Try "mkswap -L".

But if you don't want to recreate your swap partitions, you can
still refer to them by UUID.

# tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 | grep UUID

Then edit /etc/fstab:
UUID="3324e03c-f071-47da-b5eb-3889836d802e" swap swap pri=1 0 0

> Is there no way to control the order that the sata controllers
> get mapped ?

Maybe, but labels and UUIDs obviate the need.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown