how do I debug mouse/keyboard events [WAS: how do i debug X?]

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 13:46 -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Dec 31, 2007 9:55 AM, cs <cs@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:
> > I wish to monitor the current state/focus of the mouse - how would I
> do
> > this?
> > I'm trying to narrow down my intermittent USB mouse (and
> occasionally
> > USB keyboard) problems -- see thread started 18 Dec. Thanks, Michael
>
> X.org has a doc on debugging:
> http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/ServerDebugging
>
> That's all I know. I was thinking about try it, and this doc makes it
> look not to hard, but I never got around to it, and the problem I had
> went away after some updates.

Kelly, thanks for that. It looks more for seeing why X crashes. So I'll
rephrase my question more carefully, as to how do I debug USB
mouse/keyboard events to see what (if anything) is being generated,
whether it's detected and what action is being taken (whether by X,
Gnome, metacity, the kernel or another app)?

Thanks, Michael

PS: xrestop (X resource top) is worth looking at too!