Re: Opinions XFS

Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi I was reading http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/index.html and was amazed
> because XFS powerful features. But I'd like opinions if xfs should be a good
> alternative to ext3 in typical cases, or if it should be relegated to
> critical missions servers.

I like and have used XFS.  But it is lacking one feature that is
important to me and that is the ability to shrink the filesystem.
Both ext2 and ext3 filesystems can be resized up or down with
resize2fs.  That allows me to rebalance disk space and useful in
conjunction with LVM.  With the xfs filesystem xfs_growfs can be used
to grow it but not to shrink it.  Because xfs can't shrink this limits
the ability to rebalance disk space.

Bob