Re: How to check if a DVD is damaged?

On 7/7/07, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

Many thanks to all that provided their help.  Mostly I found easy to use
Thomas' suggestion:

"Thomas Hoppeer" <thoppeer@gmail.com> writes:

> To verify data on your dvd you can also use star and readcd:
> http://www.linuxconfig.org/Create_and_burn_ISO_images_with_mkisofs_%26_cdrecord#Verify_data

.  Now, `readcd' would produce I/O error messages with *all* DVDs, also the ones
that I know for sure are all right.  So, it was actually not useful at all.
Instead, `star' seems to do the proper job: with Sarge I did:

 # apt-get install star

, then mounted the disk, then cd into it and:

 $ star -cPM . >/dev/null

.  With the damaged disk, it produced an output like:

 star: Input/output error. Error reading 'rodolfo-30.giu.2007/mobile/opensync/libsyncml/tests/.svn/README.txt'.

, then ended up with:

 star: 118167 blocks + 5120 bytes (total of 1210035200 bytes = 1181675.00k).
 star: The following problems occurred during archive processing:
 star: Cannot: stat 0, open 0, read/write 662. Size changed 0.
 star: Missing links 0, Name too long 0, File too big 0, Not dumped 0.
 star: Processed all possible files, despite earlier errors.

.  Instead, with the brand new DVD the output was:

 star: 119837 blocks + 9216 bytes (total of 1227140096 bytes = 1198379.00k).

.  So it seems that I can use this tool to verify disk integrity.  I didn't try
other people suggestions because this one was the simplest for me.  Only one
thing: the command `apt-get install star' does not work with Etch: it knows no
package named `star'.  Any suggestion about how to install star under Etch?

Thanks indeed,
Rodolfo
for me in etch
apt-get install star works.
lvgvaio:~# apt-get install star
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
 star
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 298kB of archives.
After unpacking 651kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org etch/main star 1.5a67-1 [298kB]
Fetched 298kB in 0s (491kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package star.
(Reading database ... 110520 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking star (from .../star_1.5a67-1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up star (1.5a67-1) ...

--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/