Problem bootstrapping a sarge installation

Hello everybody,

I'd like to use some newer packages on an old installation (Suse 7.3,
with 2.4.25 running).

As there are no new packages available, I'd have to compile them myself;
but that would mean upgrading a lot of system libraries, too (like libxml
and others), which could make problems with other installed software.

So I had the idea to put the binaries in a chroot jail.
Sadly that doesn't work, as current (unstable) packages include a newer
ld-linux.so which says "FATAL: kernel too old".

So I'd like to get a minimum installation of an older debian release.

I try
	/usr/sbin/debootstrap --arch i386 sarge /home/flip/download/apache2-deb/ http://http.us.debian.org/debian
but get
	I: Validating libcap1
	I: Validating libcomerr2
	I: Validating libconsole
	I: Validating libdb1-compat
	I: Validating libdb2
	I: Validating libdb3
	E: Couldn't download libdevmapper1.00

Any other ideas? Why can't it download that package?

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Phil