Re: resolv.conf wrongly gets Belkin router's address

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 02:06:58 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
>Kent West wrote:
>> > auto eth0
>> > iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
>That looks fine to me.
>
>> That's the way it seems to me also, but when Belkin support told me
>> that their router does NOT offer its own address as a DNS server, I
>> figured I better double-check with other Debianistas before
>> concluding that Belkin support doesn't know what they're talking
>> about.

They are clearly lying!  My Beling router also offers itself as a DNS
server.

>> I don't find any such settings; here's a snapshot of the only relevant
>> page on the Belkin setup that I can find:
>> http://www.acu.edu/~westk/belkin.jpg
>
>That is what I expect to see but it does not explain why it is offering
>itself as a DNS server.  To me this is confirmation of the bug.

I can only report that I have a Belkin router working just fine.  It is
offering itself as DNS but where your router configuration doesn't hold
any IP addresses for my ISP's DNS mine does[1].  I'm not entirely sure
how they ended up there :-)

/M

[1]: http://therning.org/magnus_files/belkin-setup.png

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com