Re: replacing /usr with a new mountpoint

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 10:58:37PM -0700, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> "Martin Marcher" <martin.marcher@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > of course I'd like to regain the space that the /usr directory on the
> > / partition uses. Could I just "telinit 1" umount the /usr mountpoint
> > empty out the /usr directory remount again and telinit 3 back to
> > normal?
>
> I think you can do it without telinit 1.
> Try rebinding the / mountpoint somewhere else
> mount --bind / /mnt
> Then / will be in both / and /mnt
> The /mnt/usr should be your original /usr.  Delete that directory, and
> unmount /mnt
>
> Theoretically, this should work, but I haven't tried it.

my reading of man mount suggests that you want

mount --rbind / /mnt

but its not very clearly written (IMO) so I suggest you
touch a dummy file in the new /usr and double check whether its in
/mnt/usr as a test to confirm that the mount of new /usr doesn't carry
over.