Re: Missing "File Types and Programs" capplet from capplets package in Sarge?

John W. M. Stevens, 2006-02-04 18:05:36:
> There used to be a tool (Called "File Types and Programs") that would
> allow me to associate verbs with nouns in my [GNOME] desktop (in other
> words, to associate a program with a given file type

> Does anybody know what happened to this capplet (program), why
> it is no longer included in the capplet package, and where I should
> go to get it, or what the program that replaces this capplet is,
> and what package I should install to get it?

I'm pretty sure that's all been moved to the Nautilus "File Properties"
dialog.

1) Right-click on any file of the type you're interested in.
2) Select "Properties". The File Properties dialog will appear.
3) Use that dialog's "Open With" tab to add and remove applications
   for the filetype in question, and to select a default.

It's a lot nicer than the old system, IMO :)

In case that's not what you're after, how about:
Applications > Desktop Preferences > Advanced > Preferred Applications

--
Timothy Musson
trmusson@ihug.co.nz