ALSA setup fails for user

At present, the sound interface gives access to anyone in audio group,
of which user (brownh) is a member. I apparently have a permission
problem, but it does not seem to involve /dev/dsp0: Here is the setup:

  $ ls -l /dev/dsp0
  crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 3 Aug 20 19:53 /dev/dsp0

  # cat /etc/group | grep audio
  audio:x:29:brownh

This command issued by root does play a test file:

  # aplay /opt/tmp/test.wav Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit,
	Rate 22222 Hz, Mono

However, if user tries it:

  $ aplay /opt/tmp/test.wav
  ALSA lib confmisc.c:550:(snd_determine_driver) could not open control
	for card 0
  ALSA lib conf.c:3461:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
	snd_func_card_driver returned error: Permission denied
  ALSA lib confmisc.c:387:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
  ALSA lib conf.c:3461:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
	returned error: Permission denied
  ALSA lib confmisc.c:945:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
  ALSA lib conf.c:3461:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
	returned error: Permission denied
  ALSA lib conf.c:3930:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: Permission
	denied
  ALSA lib pcm.c:2068:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
  aplay: main:508: audio open error: Permission denied

Apparently, /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf is having trouble finding
/dev/dsp0, but I really don't understand the errors above.

When I use xmms, I get the same errors with some additional information:

  $ xmms /opt/tmp/test.wav
    Message: device: default

  ** WARNING **: alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed:
	Permission denied
  ALSA lib confmisc.c:550:(snd_determine_driver) could not open
	control for card 0
  ALSA lib pcm.c:2068:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default

  ** WARNING **: alsa_setup(): Failed to open pcm device (default):
	Permission denied

and a window pops up:

  Please check that:

  Your soundcard is configured properly
  You have the correct output plugin selected
  No other program is blocking the soundcard

When I pipe the sound file directly to the interface:

  $ cat /opt/tmp/test.wav >/dev/dsp0
  bash: /dev/dsp0: Permission denied

It plays if done by root, but very slowly. I'm running kernel
2.6.8-2-686 with sarge. I'm using an Audigy Gamer card, and the
onboard sound sc97 chip is disabled in BIOS.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM