Re: How to stop SSH doing reverse lookup?

Chuk Goodin <chukgoodin@gmail.com> writes:

> I need to ssh into my machine from a certain computer and I always get
> a "No further authorization methods available" response. I can get to
> my machine from other places, but I noticed this in my auth.log after
> one time I tried to get in from Computer X:
>
> Apr  1 08:32:28 localhost sshd[25266]: reverse mapping checking
> getaddrinfo for <ComputerX hostname> failed - POSSIBLE BREAKIN
> ATTEMPT!
>
> Now, I get the point of this, but I'd like to be able to turn it off,
> at least for this machine.  So far I've tried:
>
> putting SSH: <ComputerX hostname> in hosts.allow
> putting ALL: <ComputerX hostname> in hosts.allow

The service name provided by the SSH daemon is not "SSH", but "sshd".
You have to put "sshd: <ComputerX hostname>" (without the quotes, of
course) in hosts.allow for the statement to take effect.

However, this will probably not help in this case. Try to put
"UseDNS no" in your sshd_config file. See "man sshd_config" for details.

Martin