Tivoli TSM on Debian

Hello list,

in going through the archives I came across the following thread:

So, my info:

% cat /etc/debian_version
3.1

% uname -a
Linux tariec 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Mon Jan 24 03:01:58 EST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

I used alien to convert the IBM .rpm files to .deb files and intalled version 5.2.3, and added the patch to bring it up to 5.2.3-2

It's mostly working just fine. I can do incremental backups, and command-line restores using

 dsmc restore /path/to/recover/* /path/to/restore/

And files get restored, however, I'm using this in an environment where accented characters in filenames are the norm, and dsmc hates accents. It refuses to accept them. So if ever I have to restore a deeply nested directory and anywhere in the intervening path a directory name has an accent I'll have to restore the lot and then pick out what I want. Bleagh.

But the real issue is that I can't get the java baclient applet to work correctly. I can load it by visiting http://node:1581/ and the applet comes up, but when I click on the 'restore' icon, it fails and says:

ANS2619S The Client Acceptor Daemon was unable to start the Remote Client Agent.

The only thing logged in dsmerror.log is

  2005-04-01 14:37:26 Error starting Remote Client Agent.

Can any Tivoli users out there confirm that this works correctly for them? And if so maybe we could compare notes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David