Re: Debian packages similar to mathematica or mathlab ?

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:47:20 -0500
Jack Nguy <Jack@JackNguy.com> wrote:

> A little bit more digging reveals mathematica port for linux... if you
> want to pay for it...
>
> http://shum.huji.ac.il/cc/math42-linux.html
>
> http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/platforms.html

There's also a version of maple and matlab for linux (x86 only I believe). They
both have versions for mac osX but not mac linux.

As for replacements. The closest things to matlab are octave and scilab. scilab
looks a bit more mature to me since it uses external libraries to do the work,
which leaves the developers a lot less to do. It looks less polished then matlab
but excluding toolboxes it seems to do everything (it does have an image
processing toolbox that uses imagemagick). Its available at least for linux and
windows, probably more.

There is also GNU R which is a free replacement for S (the matlab equivalent in
statistics according to the docs).

For more maple/mathematica like replacements I know a bit less but a few options
that seem to come up are maxima (looks rather good), axiom(seems to be best used
with texmacs as an interface), pari-gp (mainly number theory but does other
things also, includes a c library) and yacas(supposed to have similar syntax to
mathematica and supports arbitrary precision arithmetic)
Other options are perl with the pdl extension and python-numeric or c with the
numerous math libraries.

For linear algebra some options are

atlas
blas
lapack

gandlaf has a few of these and includes some image
creation/manipulation/processing functionality

arpack for eigenvalue manipulation.

For 2D/3D plotting some of the options:

pgplot
plplot
gnuplot
opendx

For Fourier (fft/dft) you have several variations of fftw.

At least most if not all of these will also work under windows and probably the
mac and some other Unixes.

There are probably a few others I missed, but I believe that these are the major
options (will be happy to hear about any more good alternatives to these, I'm
trying to compile a list of various free solutions to mathematical work).