Re: knoppix vs standard debian?

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 10:11:58AM +0000, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
> Thank you for your replies.
>
> So, there are security issues!!  I suppose this means that the
> declaration of Sarge being stable will force security conscious users
> to migrate to Sarge ( a lot like Gates & Co forces people to move by
> making a "service pack" update and refusing support to old service
> packs.)

Except that, in my experience,
  (a) Linux security problems seem not to be as serious
    (possibly because there aren't as many Linux systems installed,
    so it's not as much a target, but possibly because it is better
    engineered)
  (b) I don't have to pay big bucks for every major upgrade -- neither
    for the software not for new CPUs, hard disks and RAM to put it on.
  (c) I trust Linux more, as, apparently, does the Chinese government.
    I always wonder what trojan horses are included with the security
    updates.  Perhaps things like copy-protection or spyware.

-- hendrik