Re: Borked update

Martin J. Hillyer wrote:

That turned out to be a great hint! I used dselect to install nautilus, it installed, upgraded nautilus-media and all the other packages that were pending and left me with a package system that has
 no broken installs (dpkg -C now comes up with nothing). Both debconf
and perl seem to be OK. I used dselect because the previous problems
were causing aptitude to lose its database and hang, meaning I had to
kill it from another console.

Excellent.

One thing I did see - when I rebooted my machine (it's dual-boot and I needed to print some photos on a USB dye-sub printer), fsck told me that my /usr partition had duplicate/bad inodes and to run fsck manually. When I did, answering 'y' to all questions, there are in /usr/lost+found 29 files with names like #128268. These appear to be perl scripts (I don't know perl). But I've not noticed any ill effects from this, and the output of dpkg -l perl* is exactly as before. I assume these files are copies of the duplicate inodes and the originals are still in place?

No idea, I'm afraid. I know nothing about perl myself, I'm just starting
with bash scripts.

I'm planning to try and purge more gnome tomorrow - I need to get some sleep after last night's struggles :-). I'll keep you informed as to progress (or regress) - offline, I guess.

Online or off, fine by me. At the end, I'll write up a precis and post
it for anybody else that wants to wander down the same path. I haven't
been able to find a reference to it anywhere. I must be missing
something, plenty of people must have wanted to trim down gnome before this.
Regards,

David.