Re: Advice for setting up a file server

On Thursday 01 April 2004 01.39, Clive Menzies wrote:

> There are two reasons I use NFS:

There is one reason I'll never use NFS: authentication.

NFS 'authenticates' clients by numerical userid *only*, and restricts
access by IP address.

So, if you manage to take over the IP address of a client, you can mount
all exported file system (including write access, if the server allows it
for a particular user) without knowing any passwords etc.

I'll probably have to set up a file server environment (Linux-only) in
autumn, and I guess I'll look into Coda as a filesystems. It's said to be
a bitch to set up, unfortunately :-(

greets
-- vbi

--