Re: CPU recommendations - comments

on Sat, May 03, 2003 at 12:54:20AM -0700, Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.dyndns.org) wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 11:11:32PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > havent tested the blowing down vs sucking up heat ... think its
> > sorta the same issue in that the air still has to make a 90degree turn
> > within the heatsink but should work better for exhausting ( less
> > turbulence )
>
> That was the assumption I was going by, since it's easier to decrease
> pressure in a confined space (like that between, say, a fan and the
> base of a heatsink) then it is to increase it.

Suction isn't directional.

Richard Feynman has a good story about this from his IIRC Princeton
days, trying to work out whether a bent-arm sprinkler (the sort that
spins when it sprays water) would spin opposite-wise when sucking.  It
doesn't.  Featured in _What Do You Care What Other People Think_.

Peace.

   Reading is a right, not a feature
     -- Kathryn Myronuk                           http://www.freesklyarov.org