Re: next debian stable ?

On Thu, 1 May 2003 23:39:52 -0700
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

> I guess I should explain the assumption: Nobody runs i80386 based
> systems in production anymore.  Heck, even five years ago, you were
> hard pressed to find that kind of hardware.  I'm not entirely sure
> most NICs available will even work in 386s anymore.  We're talking
> total novelty box here that probably won't be doing anything more than
> controlling X10 devices or something.

Except for routers, you're probably right about that.

I was making two points. You and I know that i386!=80386, so I understood
what you really meant. But others here may be confused about the fact that
in Linux i386 means "32-bit Intel-compatible".

The second point was about using 2.2 kernels for older hardware (not 80386
specifically). Woody can be installed with either 2.2 or 2.4 kernels, and I
hope that for Sarge the default will be 2.4, with an option for 2.2.

People shouldn't be required to stay with Woody to run 2.2 kernels after
Sarge comes out. I believe there are a lot of people running Debian on older
hardware, and they may be getting more numerous. I tried installing several
Slackware-based distros on my 166Mhz Toshiba, and they won't install at all.
Woody still slides right on.

Kevin