php4-gd2

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get the gd graphics library working on my
'testing' box. I did apt-get install php4-gd as suggested by others on the
list previously, but it doesn't appear to work. I checked the apache log
file and found this:

PHP Warning:  Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/lib/php4/20020429/gd.so' - /usr/lib/php4/20020429/gd.so: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Not surprising it can't find it - for some reason the gd.so file is in
/usr/lib/php4/20010901.

How do I correct this? Has anyone else come across the same problem? I've
tried Googling, but no results helped

TIA

Andrew