Re: Setting up Woody on Laptop

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 09:10:47AM -0700, Larry wrote:
> I gave up upgrading Potato to Woody, and just installed Woody on my
> Gateway laptop.
>
> Questions:
> 1) How to I get the man index installed?  I can do a man on a topic
> and see it, but if I do a "man -k topic", nothing is listed.  On the
> old Redhats, I'd run a "makewhatis" to finish the man install.  What
> do I do on Debian?

There was a bug in the version of man-db in woody that meant this didn't
get done properly on install. If you either leave your computer on 24/7
or install the anacron package, it'll be built daily; otherwise you can
run '/etc/cron.daily/man-db' by hand as root. (The rough equivalent of
makewhatis is mandb.)

> 2) I'm having trouble getting Xwindows to run in anything but the
> lowest (320x240) mode.  Is xf86config the utitilty to set this up, or
> is there a smarter one?

Does 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' help?

> 3) When I run locate, I get:
> locate: /var/lib/locate/locatedb: No such file or directory
>
> How do I fix this?

See my comments above about 24/7 or anacron.

Cheers,