Re: OT: real-world programming practices

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:26:51PM -0500, Ron wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 16:25, Seneca wrote:
> [snip]
> > > P.S. - Confirmation messages are not a "feature"!
> >
> > They are when they meet the teacher's specifications: written in java,
> > use AWT, are a class, and use buttons, frames, and the appropriate
> > listeners. Each time one comes up in my testing of my programs, there is
> > about two minutes of swapping. Give me a command line anyday.
>
> You're right that GUI has such an excess overhead, but confirmation
> messages, in and of themselves, are not GUI-only.

I know, but when the teacher wants something that gargantuan, I just
want to go back to my preferences, namely a little prompt saying [Y/n],
or something similar.

> Hey, I wonder if java can use ncurses?  Oh, well, there goes AWT...
> Sure is faster, though.
> Why do you have to use AWT, when swing has been out for years?

Guess what the school has... Not all the people who teach this course
know swing, and the school doesn't have swing on their systems.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com