Re: CDwriter

On Saturday 04 May 2002 05:12, Osamu Aoki wrote:

-snip-

> Good for you.  You must be running 2.4 kernel on woody, I guess.

SID 2.4.18-custom

-snip-

> You can always recompile but learning to do without tends to be more
> productive in long run, I think.
>
> You can do "insmod" or "modprobe" to activate most modules using stock
> debian kernels including "sr_mod".  This means more entries to
> /etc/modules.
>
> I am kind of sad people jump on recompiling kernel when they do not need
> it do it :(  Debian reference:

Well i do have a few comments:

1.) I'm pretty sure that your right! (for the user who depends on his stable
pc system for work and productivity)

2.) I have been now 3 years into linux (not so very long as you can see, call
me a newbie =)) i have been using Mandrake the first 2 years and i allways
used precompiled kernel images but i have to say that what i learned about
linux in that time was (beside usability) not really satisfying. I heard
people talking about kernel all the time and i thought they were talking
about the army =). Then i tryed Debian and in the first two weeks i learned
more about this fantastik OS than in the whole two years before. and after 2
months i built my first own kernel (wasnt really such a big deal) using
kernel-package, after two tries i had it up and running (i know my hardware)
now this new kernel was amaizingly fast (depmod -a took only a fraction of a
second, i got my geforce2 up to 2500 FPS in glxgears, and the bootup goes
much quicker cause i dont have stuff loaded (pnp etc.) that i didnt need) the
overall size of /lib/modules/2.4.18 is only 2.8 MB.
So you see that im playing Debian instead of UnrealTournament and im learning
by doing. And im not recompiling every weekend or so but i just got a burner
into the box and had no scsi-support atleast now i know what REALLY is needed
in the kernel for burning.

conclusion:
I think you have to differenciate between users who depend on reliabillity and
users who experiment and play with there machines cause they wanna learn
something thats why i use SID.

ps: i do not recommend doing it same way as me except if youre brave and do
not depend on the stabillity of your pc.

-snip-

Cheers
Florian