Re: 2.4.18 - nic modules

Keith O'Connell writes:
 > Most excellent - that was the answer I needed to get it to work. I
 > would like to know the reason for the name change. I now have to
 > have two names for the same driver in /etc/modules so that I can
 > boot between 2.2 & 2.4 as and when I need to!

Well, you can always manually rename one of them.  The name change
happened because the 8139 driver is still maintained by Donald Becker
and the 8139too (which uses some (lots?) of the 8139 code) is done by
somebody else.  Donald Becker has this to say about the 8139too:

   How this driver differs from the 2.4 "8139too.c"

   The 8139too driver is based almost entirely on the on the 8139
   driver written by Donald Becker. It has a few operational changes,
   most of which are flawed or pointless.

From:
http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html

You can also install the 8139 driver available on that page.
Instructions on its compilation can be found in the file itself (at
the end).

Andrew.