KDE - lpr clash

On my system, KDE applications that use the "centralized KDE printing facilities" cannot print. Printing from Konqueror, for instance, generates an error saying "/usr/bin/lpr -P 'lp' '-#1' somefile failed ...".

I've managed to track this down to my lpr command not accepting the command-line option "-#", which specifies the number of copies to be printed out. The man page mentions "Often a site will disable this feature...", so I've spent the last 2 hours sweeping through the WHOLE /etc directory and all lp* manpages trying to figure out how this option may have been disabled on my system by some default Debian configuration.

Without any success.

Is the Debian lpr compiled without the "-#" option? Is there some obscure lpr/lpd config file buried somewhere in my system specifying this behaviour? Should I just give up and try something like CUPS or LPRng instead?

Any ideas?

TIA,
--
Carlos Sousa