Lost in apt-get

Hi,

Im still a little confused with some aspects of apt-get and would
like to see if someone could orient me a little, either pointing me to
some URLs , or answering briefly...

I dont quite get it, lets say i apt-get install a package... so it
fetches the necessary files, downloads, and installs them.. but,
where does apt-get leaves the binaries? i mean for example, i apt-
get'ed xmms , and it downloaded and installed.. but i have no clue
on how to launch it.

for example, Ximian Gnome too... im in the process of apt-get'ing
it... but after it downloads and installs, how will i launch it?

thanks...
Camilo

"Las ecuaciones son necesarias para la contabilidad, pero
son la parte aburrida de las matemáticas. La mayor parte de
las ideas interesantes pueden transmitirse con palabras
e imágenes."
- Stephen Hawking, Breve Historia del Tiempo

"Nunca pierdas la santa curiosidad"
-Albert Einstein

Registered Linux User #231105
http://counter.li.org