Instalation on a laptop advise...

Hi there! I have a lapotp I want to install debian in, it has a nic that
needs a modifyed version of tulip.... To be able to use it I need to copy
the modifyed version and recompile the kernel to recompile the module...

The instalation cd I have for debian doesn't have any packages, It get's
them from the net... Is there a way to interupt the instalation and add
the file and recompile and then install the packages? Or do I have to
download the full cds from debian?

Thanks!