Re: how to download debian

Hi,

re. your following:

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Suresh Kumar R wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried downloading debian using psudo image kit.
> Many servers I tried didnt allow downloading. It just stops connecting.
> Somesites allows to download upto a few Mbs and then halts. Reconnection
> doesnt help
>
> Where can we download it from?
>
> Thanks

I think it's a much better idea to download the distribution package by
package, rather than a big image.  Especially if you don't have a *very*
fast internet connection.  You will have the big advantage that you can
keep your mirror up to date without downloading another huge image.  All
this is automated in Debian and not tedious at all.

Debian has tools which allow you to download the distribution on an "as
needed" basis, and organise the packages in a local partial mirror of the
Debian site.  You can keep extending and updating your mirror as you
download and install more packages.

To start with, all you need is the installation boot ("rescue"), root and
driver floppuy images; if you choose the "compact" dist. that's just three
floppies.  During installation, tell the installer to install the kernel
and drivers from floppy, and use the floppies you made.  Then choose to
install the base system from the network and the installer will download
the base system for you, which is only a dozen megs or so.  You can then
put this on a local webserver so that any further machines you build
will download it from your local net instead of the Internet.

After that, tell the installer to download the core packages from the net.
They will be cached on disk and you can use apt-move to move these to a
directory which will become your local partial Debian mirror.

If you try this and need more help, post again in this thread and I'll do
my best.

Best regards,

George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,
tel:   +35 79 68 08 86                   Strovolos,
email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,
web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus