Re: partitioning, dual booting(?)

Tek wrote:
> What will allow me to drop to DOS and go through lilo?

I think you mean drop to DOS and go through Loadlin, not lilo.

Lilo is not accessed from DOS. It's a boot loader that gets installed in
either the MBR, or in a partition boot sector. Loadlin, on the other
hand, is a DOS based boot loader for Linux. To use it you need only two
files:

1) your Linux kernel image file
2) loadlin.exe

Basic use is very simple. From Really DOS Mode, you execute a command
line like the following, which can also be executed from a DOS batch
file:

loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=5

vmlinuz  --> the name of your kernel image file
root=    --> specifies where your Linux root partition is located
ro       --> mounts the root partition read only (until fsck is run
during boot)
vga=     --> can be used to set video mode (mode 5 = 80x34)

For more details, install the Debian loadlin package and look at the
documentation in /usr/doc/loadlin. The loadlin package also, of course,
includes the loadlin.exe binary.

Tom