Re: split archives using tar

"Michael W. Shaffer" wrote:

> I highly recommend using cpio in preference to tar if the archives are
> for your own use and not public distribution to unknown platforms. The
> command to use cpio would be:
>
>   find directories_to_archive | cpio -ovH crc > /dev/sdz
>
> Cpio will automatically span volumes and prompt for the next disk or tape
> when it runs out of space. The 'H crc' option a causes GNU cpio to create
> an archive in portable ASCII format with a 32-bit CRC for each file. This
> allows you to easily verify the archive's integrity and detect errors on
> restore. Unlike tar, cpio will not puke if it encounters a single error
> on restore but will continue to restore all undamaged data after the
> error.

What command would one use to _exclude_ certain directories from the
archive?

Specifically, what would the cpio command be to achieve the following
? :

tar -cvpf /mnt/zip/homebackup-`date '+%d-%B-%Y'`.tar \
--directory /home/howard --exclude=vmware --exclude=.netscape/cache .

Here I have archived my home directory except for the "vmware" and
".netscape/cache" directories.

Thanks,

--

Howard Mann                   Online Troubleshooting Resources: HOWTO
http://www.newbielinux.com    http://www.xmission.com/~howardm/t1.html