Re: problems w/Recent Upgrade to October GNOME

Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> * "John" == John Foster <jfoster@augustmail.com> wrote:
>
> John> Since I have all of these installed-- then I can recompile mc
> John> from the source code and it should be OK--is that correct??
>
> Yes. If you can get hold of the Debian sources for this version, you
> can also recompile the package, instead of compiling the upstream
> source.
>
> When you have them dpkg-source -x mc*dsc will unpack them.
As you can guess I have never tried to recompile any debian stuff from
the sources so I need a little hand holding here. Where are the docs for
doing this? I looked at several in the Debian Packaging Manual. I did
not find any clear cut description of what to do next. I unpacked the
source files (mc-4.5.42.dsc, mc-4.5.42.diff.gz, mc-4.5.42.tar.gz. using
"dpkg-source -x -su mc*dsc". Two directories were created "/mc-4.5.42"
and "/mc-4.5.42.orig". I tried running "dpkg --build" from different
locations and that did not work. I could eventually figure this out but
I need to get this working ASAP as this is a production system.
Thanks!
--
AdVance-Computing Systems

We sell fine quality servers and workstations.
We specialize in multiprocessor units.
We install Debian Linux at no extra charge!

John Foster
jfoster@augustmail.com
ICQ# 19460173