Re: cpu used too much

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 06:45:10PM -0600, Andrei Ivanov wrote:

[Dead processes eating CPU]
> What are consequences of that? Anyone?
> I'd figure heat that builds up will eventually become a problem
> overheating your CPU, which will result in errors and crashes.

It's not going to overheat your CPU unless things are broken anyway -
your CPU should be able to handle 100% utilisation quite happily.  It
will keep things warm, but hardworking processors (usually) run hot.

What it does do is take resources away from processes that are actually
doing useful work, and indcates that something down the line is broken.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/