Re: download stalls

I just found what seems to be a cure to my download stall problem. I
right-clicked on my filerunner titlebar (maximize) by sheer accident
and I noted that the lights on the modem started blinking faster.  So I
left it alone for a bit, and my downloads don't even begin to stall.

Another symptom is that when I invoke an xterm, but don't pin it down
(so only the outline shows), the modem lights completely stop.  I
forgot to mention that I've had the same occurance with ncftp, which is
console based.  These finding seems to point to either the X-server, or
else the window manager (afterstep).  In either case, I think I can
deal with it by dragging the maximized filerunner into a corner out of
the way.

While I had previously noticed that minimizing soon resulted in a
stall, I never thought of maximizing (I run 1280x1024, so that's
unwieldy). Usually I don't solve problems by accident, but that's OK.
:-)

David