non-English Linux use

	Does one have to compile extra support into the kernel in order
to be able to use accented characters, etc. ? Or is a non-English
keyboard map sufficient ?  If more than a key.map is needed, what might
this be ?

	I want to use a keyboard with accented characters. I chose the
keyboard during the install process and it is installed at boot.
However, none of the accented characters work.  I get the ascii bell
instead.  And the control and meta keys don't work properly.  When I am
in PINE for e-mail, the right control key doesn't do jack, and the left
one will only work for certain combinations.  For example, I can use ^X
to send, ^C to cancel, ^R to read a file, but ^O to postpone doesn't
work, I can't get to the beginning and end of lines with ^A and ^E, and I
can't mark text, ^^.

	Any comments ?  They'd be much appreciated.  Thanks.