Re: ssh going nuts!

On Sep 30, Peyman Gohari wrote
> In our group we have a single Debian machine surrounded by a bunch of
> Redhats:( We have secure shell installed on all, but it behaves  weird on
> Redhats from time to time. The problem is that when you try to get a
> remote shell using ssh, you may be denied access to the remote host and
> get the message "you don't exist, go away!". I suppose it's a bug, as it
> doesn't happen all the time and moreover, if you keep on trying after a
> couple of failures, you finally get through!
>
> Any clue?

It could very well be PAM related.

This came by on the PAM development list; as there is currently no archive
of that list available, I'll include it.

|Date: 22 Sep 1997 22:19:08 GMT
|From: Henrik Seidel <henrik@lotka.biologie.hu-berlin.de>
|To: ssh@clinet.fi
|Subject: Re: ssh & redhat4.2: You don't exist, go away!

|In article <606e2h$1r8$1@news.cs.tu-berlin.de>,
|        henrik@lotka.biologie.hu-berlin.de ( Henrik Seidel ) writes:
|
|> I have the following problem with ssh 1.2.21 on a Redhat 4.2 Linux
|> system: I can call ssh once to connect to another of our local hosts
|> (with home crossmounted). However, after exiting that ssh any new attempt
|> fails with "You don't exist, go away!". After some time (timeout??) I can
|> connect again. This time is in the range of minutes.
|
|Just some more information: The problem occurs only for users from NIS, not
|for those with entries in /etc/passwd. Using something like this
|
|   for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9; do ssh remotehost; done
|
|usually gives some successful ssh interspersed between many "Go away"s.
|
|This is not a general NIS or Linux problem but rather Redhat-specific,
|since on another system I manage (Slackware 3.0) it does not occur.

HTH,
Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would