Re: Dselect

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Servo wrote:

> Hi all!  I [used to be] an avid Slackware fan.  Then I meet Debian about two
> months ago, and I am VERY Impressed.  So far, I am running 2 Debian Boxes,
> and a third is in the works (Where is the Free Hardware Foundation when you
> need it?:)
>
> I know i have not read all there is to read about Debian, but I was wondering...
>
> When I first ftp'd debian, i got it from the 'buzz' directory.  I now see
> the current directory is 'rex'?  I'm a bit confused on the seperation.  Is
> this per-version directories?
>
> Thanks for any response I get!

Each Debian distribution is given a name at the beginning of the
development cycle. Debian-1.1 has the name buzz, and is static since the
last release. Since that time the next release has been being built in rex
(otherwise known as unstable). You should feel free to try packages in
this area, but be advised that this system is under development (not for
the faint of heart) and should be used with caution and the ability to
return to your previous state (thank Ian for dpkg). When the next release
of Debian occurs, rex will become static (with the addition of a rex-fixed
for bug fixes) and there will be a new name assigned to
unstable/development.
Hope this helps.

Luck,

Dwarf