mail-delivery-agents?

The current way I manage my e-mail involves using popclient to get
incoming e-mail from my ISP (mail.polaris.net) to dwarf's incoming mail
folder on my machine (dwarf.polaris.net), outgoing mail is handled by Pine
using SMTP. I would like to try some other mail readers like elm and emacs
but none of these seem to be able to do SMTP and so require the presence
of a mail-delivery-agent.
I know I have heard pro and con discussions about smail vs sendmail but am
still confused. Also I hear hints that qmail (?) will soon be a Debian
package. I am a complete idiot when it comes to mail systems, so please be
simple and clear in your answer ;-)
What do I need to understand to install and use any of the available
packages?
If I am going to go to the trouble of learning to install a
mail-delivery-agent I will want to be able to filter mail to various
mail-folders based on the source of that mail. If that is not available in
the mail-delivery-agent, then point me to a package that will work with
the target mail-delivery-agent.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dwarf