Re: Help needed to install .afm/.pfb font on TeXlive

On Fr, 11 Jul 2008, Joey Schulze wrote:
> The problem is that mktexpk is always looking for Metafont files which
> I don't have.  (that is after running dvips foo.dvi).

Than that is a problem of the config.ps file.

> However, running dvips -P fnt foo.dvi uses the proper PFB file and the
> document looks fine.  (I'd like to avoid the need to add -P fnt to the
> command line).

Fine.

> There is a file in /etc/texmf/updmap.d that contains
>
>       Map fnt.map

Fine.

Did you call (as root)
	update-updmap
	updmap-sys
???

update-updmap merges all the files from /etc/texmf/updmap.d into the
final updmap.cfg file.

updmap-sys creates from that the various config files for dvips, pdftex
etc.

> Now I'm a bit lost here and could use a howto, document or anything
> that gives me a hint on what I'm missing.

Some links:

	file:/usr/share/doc/tex-common/TeX-on-Debian.*
		our documentation shipped in Debian

	http://www.logic.at/people/preining/talks/eurotex07-talk.pdf
		slides of a talk at the EuroBachoTeX 07

	http://www.logic.at/people/preining/pubs/texondebian.pdf
		the respective articel from TUG Boat
		(I honestly don't know whether it was ever sent to
		TUGboat or I forgot that completely)

That should help.

If you need more help, let us know.

Best wishes

Norbert

MONKS TOFT (n.)
The bundle of hair which is left after a monk has been tonsured, which
he keeps tired up with a rubber band and uses for chasing ants away.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff