Re: The hated xmltex/jadetex games in combination with new tex-common

Julian Gilbey <jdg@polya.uklinux.net> wrote:

>> Second, if I do a
>> 	\let\savedump\dump
>> 	\let\dump\relax
>> 	\input latex.ini
>> 	\let\dump\savedump
>> at the beginning of jadetex.ini it still breaks:
>> (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/fontenc.sty
>> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/tipa/t3enc.def)
>> (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/cyrillic/t2aenc.def
>>
>> ! LaTeX Error: Encoding scheme `' unknown.
>>
>> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
>> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>>
>> l.39 ...titution{\LastDeclaredEncoding}{cmr}{m}{n}
>>
>> ?
>
> That's strange; with a testing system, I don't see this error, and it
> seems to work fine.

Here it also works with

,---- myjadetex.ini

`----

,---- from fmtutil.cnf
| myjadetex	pdfetex	language.dat	translate-file=cp227.tcx *myjadetex.ini
`----

both on a sarge system with teTeX 3.0 and on a sid system with texlive
and Debian's jadetex force-installed.

> Hmmm.  And what's that /tipa/ file doing there,
> anyway?  It's not part of texlive....

Here it works even when tipa is installed.  Without it, one gets the
warning:

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/jadetex/base/unicode.sty
Package: unicode 2000/01/13 S Rahtz: load various font-related packages for Uni
code

WARNING: tipa package not loaded. some symbols will fail

In other words: The jadetex format needs to be recreated when tipa is
updated...  But I think this is a minor problem which can be "solved" by
documenting it in README.Debian until we have a dpkg trigger
mechanism. And of course jadetex should depend on tipa (bug filed).

Well, but the place where format creation failed on Norbert's system was
after loading

/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/cyrillic/t2aenc.def

So I also installed texlive-lang-cyrillic, but still I can create
jadetex.fmt and myjadetex.fmt.  I think something's amiss on your
system.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster