Re: Location of documentation

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 21:56 +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> Ouch - why is the teTeX documentation now in /usr/share/doc/tetex-doc
> rather than /usr/share/doc/texmf?  That seems like a gratuitous and
> confusing change.  I presume that it's because of the texlive
> packages.  Could we at least have a symlink in /usr/share/doc/texmf to
> the new docs?

Why do you find this confusing? I find the current setup quite nice and
symmetric:

* teTeX uses /usr/share/texmf-tetex and /usr/share/doc/tetex-doc,
  together with a symlink from /usr/share/texmf-tetex/doc

* TeX Live uses /usr/share/texmf-texlive and /usr/share/doc/texlive-*,
  together with symlinks in /usr/share/texmf-texlive/doc

* other packages (lmodern, beamer, pgf, ...) use (or should use)
  /usr/share/texmf and /usr/share/doc/texmf, which is linked from
  /usr/share/texmf/doc

But then I almost never directly search for documentation. Typically I
use 'texdoc' for this, which hides the exact location. And if I search,
I typically start from TEXMF/doc with TEXMF adjusted to the source of
the package.

During which types of usage do you have problems? What could be
improved?

cheerio
ralf