Re: [olaf@infovore.xs4all.nl: [tex-k] Web2C 7.5.3]

Frank Küster writes:
> Julian Gilbey <jdg@polya.uklinux.net> schrieb:

>> Spotted this one, and it's important.

>> * Building libkpathsea as a shared library.
>>
>> On some platforms libkpathsea can be built as a shared library, though
>> I cannot at present recommend that you do so.

> I know this, but was inclined to ignore it, because it seems to work
> well. We could, however, discuss whether we should file a bug against
> libkpathsea, stating this, and bugs against all packages using it,
> asking the maintainers to be careful.

I should point out that this is not new information.  The same note
applied to previous versions of teTeX, and was dicussed at the time by
the Debian maintainers.  Whatever you did previously to cope should
still work.

>> But if you did so in the past, note that a program linked against a
>> 3.4.x version of libkpathsea cannot use the 3.5.x version.  If you
>> need to keep both 3.4.x and 3.5.x versions around, you're on your
>> own as to how to get this to work (for example by fiddling with the
>> soname).

> This is done alread automatically in the current teTeX beta, either by
> Olaf or by Thomas, and my experimental packages therefore build a
> libkpathsea4 package.

The good news is that a rewrite is well under way, and will provide a
library interface that should actually work for a shared library.  The
new library also has a different name, libkpse.

--
Olaf Weber