Re: tetex-* CVS repository on klecker?

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 07:16:05PM -0800, C.M. Connelly wrote:

> I was counting on Julian to chime in with some good advice, and
> I'm glad that some of what I suggested meshed pretty well with
> some of his advice.  ;-)

8-)

> The best place to look for information about CVS, I think, is
> <http://www.cvshome.org/>, which has the master CVS archive, the
> Cederqvist book in various formats, and a FAQ-O-Matic with lots of
> answers to both obvious and non-obvious questions.

I'd also recommend file:/usr/share/doc/cvs/html-info/cvs_toc.html

> Are there docs somewhere for working with Debian's CVS
> repositories?  I know they support anonymous pserver access, but
> presumably to make changes we need to log in, which means any of
> several different methods.  Using an ssh-tunnel or ssh-as-rsh
> would seem to be the most obscure, and there are some docs for
> that on cvshome, but it would be good to know if there's already
> some Debian-specific information available.

I recommend using ssh-agent authentication, set the CVS_RSH
environment variable to ssh and you're away.  I can't remember the
correct checkout command, but you can look it up; it's something like

cvs -d :ext:cmc@klecker.debian.org:/cvs/tetex

I'll check out the details of the directory later.

> [cvs2cl]
>
> Maybe the best thing to do would be to have people add brief but
> meaningful summaries of what they did to the debian/changelog
> (e.g., ``Fixed directory permission problem (closes: #xxxx)'') and
> let the specific details remain in the cvs2cl changelog (e.g.,
> ``file.pl: Modified to read directory permissions before changing
> them; file.1: Documented change in manpage; file.cfg: Changed
> configuration details'', etc.).  We could then either start
> including cvs2cl changelogs in the doc directory or just make a
> blanket statement that people could check the CVS logs if they
> wanted more detail than we've provided in debian/changelog.

That sounds good.

> We might also want to consider mandating some particular format
> for changelog entries, such as <http://www.gnu.org/standards.html#SEC40>.
> (I suspect that a fair bit of that is automatic when using CVS,
> though).

Sounds like a lot of work for not much gain.

   Julian

     Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths,             Debian GNU/Linux Developer
      Queen Mary, Univ. of London         see http://people.debian.org/~jdg/
   http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/~jdg/           or http://www.debian.org/
        Visit http://www.thehungersite.com/ to help feed the hungry