Re: no testing packages?

You can have both testing and stable, for example, in your
sources.list.  In this case, its trivial, just add a line for each
existing line in that file, and s/testing/stable/.

Using /e/a/preferences, you can set up "pinning", and do something to
the effect of "Everything should be 'stable' version, unless I
explicitly say 'testing'".  This would otherwise be impossible,
because testing is guaranteed to have a version at least as high as
stable, and you'd end up with all testing packages after your first
upgrade.

This buys you the ability to install packages which do not exist in
testing, but do exist in stable.  (It may not work as well sometimes,
because of package Conflicts).

You can do things like: apt-get install dselect/sid aptitude/testing
dpkg/stable.

Note, however, that downgrades are not generally supported.

Justin