Re: trouble with unstable

Neal Murphy <neal.p.murphy@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> That said, unstable has been amazingly stable (for the parts of it
> that I use) for well over a year, perhaps closer to two. I've been
> using it because I

For the past year we have been in a release process which mean that
core elements of the distribution have been held stable.

> I know I can't call this a 'problem' because of the very nature of
> 'unstable'. But I think I can reasonably ask, "Was this effect
> expected? Or intended?"

I think it is expected. it is about a month since Sarge was released
and people started working on what to release with etch. This means
that there will be some updates which is hard to handle dependenciy
wise.

gcc-4.0 means that every C++ package must be compiled again and it
has to happen in the right order. A new X11 has just hit unstable
which is a source of unstableness. And I wouldn't be surprised if the
KDE and Gnome packaging teams also would like to make some transitions
in near future.

> Whatever the case may be, does anyone have any idea when unstable
> might again be (dare I say it?) stable?

About a half release cycle before next release.

--
 Peter Makholm     |                                              What if:
 peter@makholm.net |                Tanenbaum had convinced Linus that his